Gleason Barn

Originally built circa 1770 in Meriden, New Hampshire by the Gleason family, the 3,000 square-foot pre-Revolutionary War-era hay barn was spared demolition by its purchase in 2001. After two years spent dismantling the barn, designing blueprints, restoring and saving the wood beams, the barn was shipped in pieces to Nickel & Nickel and was reconstructed at our Napa winery in 2003 to house offices and a laboratory for the winemaking staff. The elements include:

  • Original hand-hewn, white pine and hemlock beams, fashioned in post-and-beam, wood-pegged construction; the beautifully rough beams show centuries of wear
  • Century-old, barn-red exterior siding, weathered to a lovely, aged patina
  • An interior re-adapted to winery use, without compromising the barn's architectural integrity
  • Haylofts and animal stalls transformed into glass-walled offices and lab space, retaining the floor-to-ceiling open feeling of the barn
  • New, double-folding, divided light doors to recreate the barn’s original breezeway
  • Creative engineering, enabling this 250-year-old barn to meet seismic building codes, while preserving its original interior and exterior elevations